1. Prepare crab cakes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, gently stir together crabmeat, shallot or onion, mayonnaise, egg, and 1/2 cup of the panko crumbs. Stir in black pepper, parsley, peperoncini, and cayenne. With a tablespoon sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, scoop crab mixture onto prepared baking sheet and form into 16 to 18 small patties. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. While crab cakes chill, prepare aioli. In a food processor or blender, blend together all aioli ingredients until creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. When ready to cook cakes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place remaining 1 3/4 cup panko crumbs in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Coat each crab cake in crumbs, shaping them a little as you do.
4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add butter and let it foam. Fry cakes in batches, being careful not to overcrowd them, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Return cooked cakes to parchment-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven until they're ready to be served.
5. Serve warm, with lemon caper aioli on the side for dipping.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2009