1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Take two muffin pans and line 18 of the cups with paper liners. Spray each liner with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on low speed to mix cornmeal, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
3. Add eggs and oil. Mix on low until blended. Gradually add water and maple syrup until batter is smooth. Scrape down bowl, then mix on low speed for 5 minutes. Fold in cheddar cheese. Batter will be thick.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pans, filling papers only halfway. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until surface is pale golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or store, refrigerated, in a covered container and reheat.
What Kids Can Do:
* Prepare muffin pans with liners.
* Measure and mix ingredients.
* Older kids can grate cheese.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2007