1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Place almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat and toast until light gold and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a plate to cool. Set aside.
3. Prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, stir together spread and milk until smooth. Set aside.
4. Prepare the dough. In a food processor, combine flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse a few times until butter is the size of small peas. Add egg and buttermilk, and pulse just until dough starts to clump together. Transfer dough to a surface and gather into a ball. The dough will be very moist. (Alternatively, combine ingredients in a bowl and use a pastry blender or fork to mix in butter, then stir in egg and buttermilk.)
5. Place a 20-inch-long sheet of parchment or waxed paper on a work surface, positioned so a long side is horizontally in front of you. Generously sprinkle flour over the paper. Place dough on the paper and sprinkle with flour. Roll out dough into a rectangle 16 to 17 inches long (horizontally) and 8 inches wide.
6. Spread reserved chocolate filling on the dough, reaching all the way to the edges of the two short sides and leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered along the two long sides. Sprinkle with 6 Tbsp. of the toasted almonds. Holding onto the bottom edge of parchment paper, use it as a guide to roll up the dough starting with the long edge closest to you, tightening the roll slightly as you roll it up and brushing off excess flour. Roll up the dough just past the top edge.
7. Use a gentle sawing motion with a serrated knife to cut roll into 12 equal slices. Place slices cut side up (and down) in the muffin cups. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. almonds. Bake until golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 15 to 18 minutes.
8. Cool in pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges. Lift spirals out of the muffin pan and transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, July - August 2015