1. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. Rice should be tender. Drain if necessary. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
2. While the rice cools, prep vegetables and add to a large bowl. Shred the carrots. Chop the parsley. Thinly slice scallions, both white and green parts. Remove about 1 Tbsp. of the scallion greens and set aside; add the rest of the scallions to the bowl. Add cranberries and stir to mix.
3. Heat walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook until toasted and fragrant, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest and juice, olive oil, vinegar, ginger, salt, and pepper. Alternatively, combine these ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well.
5. When rice is cooled, add to bowl with vegetables. Pour dressing over everything and mix well. Add toasted walnuts. Garnish with reserved scallion greens. Serve immediately or chilled.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2014