1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
2. Heat broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
3. Trim and discard stem and root ends of fennel bulbs. Cut bulbs in half, then slice lengthwise into thin half moons. Cut onion in half, then lengthwise into thin half moons. Add fennel and onion to the broth and stir. Cover saucepan and cook until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, peel and core the apple and slice into thin half-moons.
5. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
6. Add the fennel, onion, and broth mixture to the baking pan. Stir in apples, thyme, salt, and pepper. Use the back of a spoon to gently press the mixture into a flat layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together Parmesan and panko. After the fennel mixture has baked for 10 minutes, sprinkle the Parmesan mixture evenly over the top. Continue baking until topping begins to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2012