1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a small. heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, stirring once or twice, until it's melted and golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Working quickly and carefully, pour caramel into an 8 inch round cake pan, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
3. Put eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla into a medium bowl and whisk gently until smooth. Using a wooden spoon stir in evaporated milk. Pour into sugar coated pan.
4. Place pan, uncovered, into a larger and deeper baking pan, then add hot water until water reaches halfway up sides of pan containing flan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until middle of flan is set and wiggly like jelly, but not liquidy. If flan isn't set, continue baking, checking at 3 minute intervals.
5. Carefully remove flan from water bath and place on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. Chill for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
6. To serve, run a knife around edges of flan to separate it from pan. Place a platter or larger plate on top, hold it in place, then invert. Flan should be released onto plate. The bottom now becomes the top, which is golden brown, with caramel dripping all around. Slice and serve using a spatula. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
Note: Fresh Raspberries are not used in the nutritional value.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2007