1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.Remove pan from heat and whisk in brown sugar and maple syrup. Set mixtureaside to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, sift or stir together both flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. After butter mixture has cooled for about 5 minutes, whisk in egg and vanilla.Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Stir in walnuts (and chocolate chips, if desired).
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 42 minutes, until just set. Remove pan to a rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before cutting. When blondies are cool, cut into 16 squares. Serve at room temperature.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2010