1. Wash and drain canned kidney beans.
2. Finely chop onion and tomatoes separately. Make ginger-garlic paste, and set this aside.
3. Place a pan on medium heat and add oil. Add cumin seeds and turmeric powder to the hot oil, allow the cumin seeds to sputter.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and onions and fry for 2 -,- 3 minutes (until the aroma emits). Add tomatoes, garam masala, cumin and coriander powders and saute until the onion-tomato mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
5. Now add drained kidney beans to the above mixture, salt, 1/2 to 1 cup water (add water depending upon the consistency desired) and allow the mixture to boil for 4 -,- 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat, transfer into a serving bowl, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve with warm rice or any Indian bread (eg: chapathi or naan).Variations
The same recipe can be followed for black-eyed beans, garbanzos, or other beans.
7. Unsweetened yellow or white onion can substitute for red onion.
8. Chopped green (1/2 pepper) and red bell peppers (1/2 pepper) could be added after step 4, allowed to become tender before adding kidney beans.