1. Prepare the tuna marinade. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the tuna, seal thebag, and turn the tuna to coat completely with the marinade. Marinate at roomtemperature while preparing the rest of the salad, about 20 minutes.
2. Quarter tomatoes and place in a colander. Sprinkle with the sugar and salt,toss to coat, and let drain for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in garlic, scallions, capers, and red pepper flakes. Add rice and stir to combine well. Set aside.
4. Cook the tuna. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Measure 2 tablespoons of the marinade from the bag into the pan, then add the tuna. Sear the steaks for 3 minutes per side for rare, 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Set aside to cool, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cut into bite-size piecesand stir into the rice. Add parsley, mint, and tomatoes and mix again.
5. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour. Stir again just before serving. Serve chilled, in the serving bowl or, if desired, place lettuce leaves on individual plates and top with scoops of the salad.Garnish with mint sprigs if using.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2011